Level 2 - Barista
JOB TITLE: Barista
REPORTS TO: Store Manager, Cafe Manager
Summary: This is a part-time, entry-level cafe position. The position involves preparing coffee according to various methods and using an espresso bar, preparing homemade baked goods, and assisting on the salesfloor. Enthusiasm for bicycles and strong interpersonal skills are a must.
Schedule/Availability: Must open and close cafe Sundays and Mondays, ~16 hours total/week. Must be available on upcoming blackout dates. Enough openness in schedule to accommodate additional coverage with notice is a must.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build and maintain relationships with customers
- Prepare an array of espresso bar menu items
- Share product knowledge and enthusiasm for bikes with customers
- Complete a multitude of daily housekeeping tasks
- Follow safe food handling practices
- Support the cafe production schedule
- Set-up and close cafe and store
- Know the bike brands and models we stock (Trek, All-City, Salsa, Surly, Co-Motion, Waterford, Electra, Etc.)
- Know the parts and accessories we stock, including racks and bags, fenders, saddles, lights, basic computers (not Garmin), pedals, grips/bar tape, locks, bottle cages, kickstands, mirrors, bells/horns, tires and so on
Successful completion of following orientation and training within first 30 days or 100 hours worked:
- Cafe Training
- Freewheel Training Guide For All
- Freewheel Bike Sales Training Guide
- Trek U "Master" Status
- Peace Coffee barista labs
- Sales and customer service training
Education/Experience: Previous experience in any related domain (food, coffee, bike sales) preferred, but not required.
Skills and Traits: Outgoing, enthusiastic, self-motivated, ability to relate to and engage in conversation with strangers. Flexibility and an ability to adapt within an ever-changing industry and work environment. Takes initiative and has a positive attitude. Ability to set shift goals, meet them, stay on task, and multitask consistently. A talent for merchandising baked goods and floor attractively, and contributing creatively to cafe and store. Willingness to exit the cafe area and assist confidently with the sales floor.
- Able to sit or stand and walk throughout the scheduled work shift
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of this job, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions
- Able to lift and/or move up to 75 lbs.